6.28.2010

The Weakerthans

The Weakerthans
Live at the Burton Cummings Theatre

Epitaph, 2010
www.theweakerthans.org

This album reaffirms two things that I already knew about The Weakerthans. But it also surprised me too:

1. They are one of the best bands around right now.

2. John K. Samson is the best lyricist alive.

3. They're an inhumanly good live band.

This is probably the best live recording I've ever heard, which is good. There are few things that I hate more than bad live recordings (like drinking straws, for instance). These guys have their set down. This show was recorded in April of 2009 in their hometown of Winnipeg, which is always extra incentive not to f**k up. But besides that, they are just incredibly tight. There are a few songs that I wish had been included, but overall they play everything a fan would want to hear. If you're not familiar with the band, this would actually be a great introduction. If you buy the CD, it also comes with a DVD of the show which is a pleasant bonus (except that it costs more. So, maybe not so much of a bonus then).

The one thing that has always bothered me a little is that Samson's singing voice is identical to the voice that every single black comedian makes when impersonating white people. You know what I'm talking about. But hey, he's Canadian and I'm never satisfied. We both have our faults.

This is an amazing band. I mean, any band that name-drops Michel Foucault in a song title is ace as far as I'm concerned. Live at the Barton Cummings Theatre is an incredible live album and I'll be listening to it for a long time to come. Highly recommended.