6.21.2010

The Tallest Man on Earth


The Tallest Man on Earth
The Wild Hunt
Dead Oceans, 2010

I'll start by saying that it's really difficult for me to give an objective opinion here. First of all, this guy is Swedish. Being of proud Swedish stock myself, it pains me to speak negatively of a fellow countryman, as I expect nothing but greatness from my beautiful, icy homeland. Another reason is because he's one of those guitar troubadour types. You know what I'm talking about. Those people. The type that turn their nose up and scoff at other instruments and go it alone with their acoustic guitar and ego in tow. Yuck. When I listen to said types, I'm always thinking in the back of my mind, "This would sound so much better with a band." For this reason, I'll never be able to fully appreciate this genre or give a balanced review. It's just the way I am. But worry not about me, I'll press on somehow.
Kristian Matsson, aka The Tallest Man on Earth, is definitely a talented guy. He's obviously a very skilled guitarist and songwriter. But do I want to listen to this? Not really. The first few songs are good and I enjoy them. But an entire album is just too much for me. His voice kind of reminds me of Jeff Mangum doused with John Prine. I don't mind it, but it may grate on some people. Overall, it's not bad. It's just not my thing. But if acoustic folk with quirky lyrics is your thing, be my guest.

E says: One or two songs and that's a wrap.

L says: Not feeling it. Stop taking yourself so seriously.