6.14.2010

Aloha


Aloha
Home Acres
Polyvinyl, 2010

The first track I heard from Aloha, "Moonless March", blew me away. Okay, that's an exaggeration. It was more like, 'this reminds me of the music I miss'. It reminded me of the post-punk guitar rock I long for, like Jawbox and Burning Airlines, but with more melody. And keyboards. So I bought the CD (yeah, I pay for my music because I don't understand torrents and I'm a better person for it). And honestly, I was a little disappointed. It's not the journey back to late 90's DC awesomeness that I had dreamed of. It's more like taking local transportation to the city 20 minutes away that you know all too well. There is so much potential here but most of the tracks come off as lazy. This record is slightly reminiscent of Q and not U, and that's being extremely generous. I don't want to say it's Prog-Rock because that makes me think of Rush and THAT makes me want to punch myself in the face.
Yes, there are some good songs here but it's just too inconsistent. I like perfection. I hear they put on a hell of a show though.

E says: Nothing new.

L says: It's nice and a little boring.