6.19.2010

Jason Anderson


Jason Anderson
Tonight
Eca Records, 2007

So, every once in a while I'm going to put up an older record. Maybe one that you've carelessly forgotten about or one that just didn't get as much attention as it should have.
If you've never heard of Jason Anderson, let me drop some science on you right quick. This guy does the kinds of things that I wish I had the balls to do. First, he was in Wolf Colonel and put out records on K. Then, he quit his jobs and decided to go on tour. By himself. When I say "tour", I mean riding his bicycle around New England. He books almost all of his shows himself and stays on the road constantly. He has collaborated with Phil Elverum (Microphones and Mount Eerie).
This guy will play anywhere. I s**t you not, he will stand in the middle of a room full of people with just his acoustic guitar and rock your face off.
The great thing about Jason Anderson is that he comes off as being extremely sincere about his music and why he does it. There's no pretense.
Imagine if you and 20 of your friends all crowded into a basement to play music for all the right reasons. That's what Tonight sounds like. This album features more electric guitar than some of his other records. His vocals are unpolished and heartfelt. If you want a good example of what to expect, listen to "July 4, 2004" (the version from this record). The first thing you will notice is that it totally rips off Madonna's "Holiday". But you know what? I don't care. In fact, I think that makes it even more awesome. "Holiday" was an excellent song. The second thing you will notice is that this song is great. He sings with an intensity that I imagine Bruce Springsteen once had at some point. He will make himself hit those high notes; if he doesn't, all is forgiven because of the obvious amount of effort and heart he puts into each song.
There's no posturing here. It's just rock and roll. And I like it.