6.23.2010

Sleigh Bells


Sleigh Bells
Treats

I want nothing more than to tell you how bad this album is. I want to tell you that this is a perfect example of what is wrong with new music, and how it's blown up by people who are more concerned with image than substance. I want to do that.
And I can. This is not good. Sleigh Bells are probably one of the most over-hyped indie acts around at the moment. Basically, what they do is take programmed beats and crank them to an ungodly volume, add bowel-emptying bass and 80's metal riffs, and lay female sing-song vocals over it. It's a novelty. Kind of like the first time I heard Apathy rap over "Seven Nation Army", it's slightly clever at first. But it wears off faster than waterproof suntan lotion. The problem is that this is just a gimmick, and once you get past that gimmick, there's not much left to appreciate. Or like.
Don't waste your time. This band, and this music, has the longevity of a John Calipari basketball recruit. One and done.

E says: The audio equivalent of Silly Bandz.

L says: A couple of the songs are catchy. I can't listen to the whole album.