7.11.2010

The Soft Pack


The Soft Pack
The Soft Pack
Kemado, 2010

Man, I love San Diego. The weather. The women. It's laid-back beach vibe. And of course its geographical proximity to Tijuana and non-prescription pharmaceuticals. Of course, I've never been there. But it sounds fantastic. San Diego is also known for producing a lot of great bands. Pitchfork, Rocket from the Crypt, Pinback, Drive Like Jehu and of course Ratt just to name a few. Now welcome The Soft Pack.
I would now like to take the time to thank these guys for making the kind of music I want to hear. It's upbeat and melodic but with a definite punk undertone that can be found in a lot of the music from that area. Matt Lamkin even kind of sounds like Rick Froberg sometimes.
It seems almost too easy to like these guys. Seriously, after the first track I knew this was for me. I had heard about them when they were at SXSW, but didn't pay a whole lot of attention to them. What a mistake on my part. Not quite the same level of mistake as getting into a habanero sauce drinking contest with my brother, but more like when I went to see Kool Keith at the Cat's Cradle and thought it would be awesome. Just a misinformed mistake. But no more sleeping on this band. If SoCal keeps putting out records like this, I'm packing my bags for San Diego.

You know, I hear "San Diego" is German for..