7.17.2010

Dum Dum Girls


Dum Dum Girls
I Will Be
Sub Pop, 2010

This is what I wish the whole Riot Grrrl thing had sounded like. I feel like that movement gave girl bands a bad name. Like all girl bands were feminist and scary and unwashed. Which isn't true at all. Girl bands are awesome and plentiful. Like Sleater-Kinney and.. uh, the Bangles. Speaking of the Bangles, did you know they're still together? Yeah, I'm relieved too.
Anyway, thank god we made it through the Doc Marten and ripped baby doll dress scene.There really are some great girl bands out there, they just don't get the same recognition. It's usually the rancid ones that do, like the Donnas.
Lucky for me, Dum Dum Girls have more in common with The Groovie Ghoulies than L7. I have to admit, I already like this album a lot. This album is 28 minutes of catchy, relatively lo-fi, 60's pop-inspired punk. It's like mainlining Kool-Aid. My wife hates it, but I think it's great. Go figure. Women.